Monday 11 January 2016

1976: TV SCI-FI MONTHLY ISSUE 1

From 1976: the first issue of the British TV SCI-FI MONTHLY, published by Sportscene out of Goodge Street, London. 

I picked up a few copies of this title over the last few months. I'm not sure if I have a complete run, I'll need to check. 

Considering the age of this mag, and the fact that most publishers seemed to think that a few black & white photos poorly reproduced on newsprint was perfectly acceptable, I think this is an impressive package.

The format looks to be your bog-standard A4 but it actually opens up to become a glossy tabloid with a good percentage of the pages printed in colour. Unfortunately the pages are too large for my scanner. The text fearures are perfectly adequate but the real strength is in the good use of photographs and (what appears to be) specially commissioned visuals and graphics. 

A quick Google suggests that copies were also shipped to the States (and I've seen adverts in US magazines) although I have no idea how good distribution was on either side of the Atlantic.

It looks like at least eight issues were published with a heavily emphasis on the big shows of the day (DOCTOR WHO, STAR TREK, SPACE: 1999 and the Bionics). It seems to have folded before it could capitalise on the post-STAR WARS small-screen explosion. 

1 comment:

  1. *** IDW TO RE-PRINT UK TREK STRIPS ***

    as seen here :

    http://www.startrek.com/article/guest-blog-classic-british-trek-comic-strips-coming-soon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...