Tuesday 26 August 2014

1986: THUNDER ACTION Issue 1 (Savoy Services)


THUNDER ACTION issue 1 from 1986.

I know very little about this other than it reprinted various T.H.U.N.D.E.R AGENTS strips (possibly licensed… or possibly deemed to have dropped into the public domain at this point) along with SHATTER which was hyped at the time as being the first computer-drawn comic book (but was actually pretty scrappy and unattractive despite the technological achievements).

This ran for at least three issues and was published by an outfit called Savoy Services.  It had newsagent distribution in the UK (I remember getting my copy from the local branch of Martins the Newsagent).  

Any other information gratefully received.

1 comment:

  1. To my knowledge it ran 4 issues, although no cancellation was announced--a fifth issue never appeared that I saw. Sadly, my copies migrated to eBay a few years ago so I can't provide any further insights.

    I've heard the rumour that there may have been a questionable rights issue involved with the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents reprints.

    I recall that the original UK material (two strips an issue, including new T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents material!) was a bit more "adult" than one was used to on the newsagents' comic book shelves--titillation in the vein of The Sun newspaper, including a Samantha Fox lookalike who fell in love with No-Man--which presumably was why later issues featured a PG rating on the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...